What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Suncream is intended for all skin tones

~ True Legend ~

Goofy Nerd
Elite Member

Sure, people of colour have more melanin in their skin to offer natural protection against the sun. But that’s nowhere near enough protection that suncream offers.

As the article states, suncream ads always seem to target white ppl. Also ppl with darker skin tones often don’t like the way suncream makes them look, so I feel like suncream manufacturers should be more considerate about diversity.

It doesn’t help that the UK consider suncream a cosmetic product for tax purposes. After all, this is a health product, not a beauty product.

I like Netherland’s approach in making suncream available for free in all public places. Watcha say? All tropical countries should do this IMO, and countries like the UK should also do so in the summer.

I personally never believed in the myth that Black people don't need sunscreen.

Honestly, I think this was something that came from Slavery because the darker skinned slaves were forced to work the fields for the slave owners, while the fairer skinned slaves were forced to be the house slaves, and they were generally considered more attractive by White society. (This is the literal origin of colorism, and precisely why it is stupid since they were often subject to more SA for that reason..) Other times, they were given better opportunities and unfortunately this pervasive and fucked up belief is why companies like Unilever that sell skin bleaching creams where they are very popular in Africa, Asia, and in some South American or Caribbean countries because of this same reason.

And others who are fair skinned have used sun block in the same way to prevent getting dark.

But I digress.

The reason I think this goes all the way back to Slavery is because the justification I have heard from people in my family was that: "When our ancestors were forced to work the cotton fields, they didn't have or need sun block, because the melanin in their skin protected them. So I don't need it either."

While that may be true, the Sun has gotten a lot stronger, because of the damage to the climate and for that reason, people need to have more protection now.

I am old enough to remember when the Summer Camp I went to as kid, advised the parents to pack 2 small bottles of sun block in our stuff so that we could use it while away.

That was in 1992.

Today, they are advising parents to pack 2 or 3 rashguards with them in addition to sun block for protection. I have 2 nephews who went to camp this year and so their parents has to buy these things twice.

But even though I am quite fond of the darker shade I turn when sun burnt, (only happened once and it was my fault because I stayed up all night playing video games with my brother and then fell asleep on the beach the next morning..) I fully agree that the melanin enriched people do need to wear sun block.

Skin Cancer does not discriminate.

Last edited:
While that may be true, the Sun has gotten a lot stronger, because of the damage to the climate and for that reason, people need to have more protection now.
Thanks for sharing! I wasn’t aware of this. has this been proven or is this an assumption? AFAIK it’s the greenhouse gases that warm the atmosphere. Please post up a link to this, thanks :)

I also just wanted to add a comment here - just raising that the damage from the sun is hidden just because dark skin is already naturally dark, so it can’t really be darkened much further by the sun. But as they say, looks != health . Just like being slim does not equate to being fit, being naturally dark does not equate to better UV protection.

So, my point being - I’m not sure the point that black slaves were safe from the sun at the time is even true. They may have looked and seemed healthy, but that does not mean they actually are.

It’s interesting you raise the point on slavery though! Do you feel racism in general stems from the history of slavery?

Again, I don't make assumptions, I am only speaking from my experience. I don't claim to be an expert on anything.

No, I don't think that the racism comes from the origin of Slavery. I think there are many factors that contribute to including, but not limited to fear, ignorance (willful and otherwise), sexual insecurity, and other factors. But I also think it is being used as a distraction to keep the lower classes at each other's throats and distracted from fucked up stuff that the wealthy is doing and getting away with. White groups still managed to discriminate against each other.. when there weren't many Black and Brown people involved.. and it was largely because they were different.

I think that there is more we have in common than what separates us, meaning BIPOC have the same worries and stresses that White people have, we just have to deal with racism on top of it, and a complex system that reinforces it, that many of its beneficiaries don't want to see dismantled for fear of losing something themselves.. even if they claim to support equality.

Whatever the case, racism, much like other societal ills is taught.. no one is born that way.. and we have seen this with children.

Anyway, I agree that the idea that Dark skin doesn't need sun screen is a myth. All skin needs it, and you really shouldn't skimp on it either. This was something I have always believed. My husband and I are like peanut butter in complexion, and we have at least SPF 50 on before we step outside. And I am extremely grateful that he started listening to me on this years ago, especially since now it has been said that Black men have an increased risk of dying from Melanoma. That particular myth about Black people/dark skin not needing sun block is as pervasive, as it is culture deep.. and so, hopefully with this new information, we can start turning the tide on that.

My Grandfather was so fair, that he actually passed for White, (He was actually Irish and Native, but said that he was Black because he was married to my grandmother who was Black and Native herself) but he NEVER wore sun block, and he was a bus mechanic, so he was CONSTANTLY exposed to the Sun. He was in the yard for at least 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, fixing buses but he couldn't tan worth a damn and so, his skin was always red from where it has been exposed from his jumpsuit.

And because he was as religious as he was, he didn't believe any harm would come to him anymore than the Black people in my family did.. when they were asked about sun block in my last post. My FIL who is White, (Italian and Puetro Rican) can't tan either. His skin gets as red as my Grandfather's did, but he is super protective of his skin, so on a 80° (F) day, you will see him wearing a hat, full face mask, sunglasses and fully covered from head to toe in rashguard when he goes to ride his bike. He actually looks like a scuba diver who took up bee keeping as a hobby but wanted to do both at the same time.. So he takes skin protection a lot more seriously than my Grandfather did and I am grateful for that too.

I also think that there is a lot that we don't know, for example, I just learned in my early 20s that you have to keep reapplying it periodically in order to see the benefits and it isn't just a one-and-done. Which explained why I was burnt so bad (but looked so good) after falling asleep on the beach. Our mother made sure that we were covered head to toe in sun screen, but at some point before we were at the beach it wore off and it was an annoying and painful 6 hour ride back to NY from Virginia Beach..

And nowadays, as an adult, I started peeling within 30 minutes of leaving the ship to walk around Nassau, to go souvenir shopping and I was wearing freshly applied Neutrogena (I think) SPF 70 that was water proof and sweat proof and supposed to last for 4 hours. I might've been asleep for only that half hour on the beach as a 16 year old, but we were already there for a few hours.. if I did that as a 40+ now, I might have to be taken to a hospital for my burns..

As for the Sun getting stronger, I am aware about the greenhouse gases and its contribution to climate change. We started learning this back in 1989, and it was boring back then.. lol That said though, the gases have also increased with the population.

But what I am referring to is the difference between then and now when it comes to exposure and its effects on my skin.

This was why I mentioned the differences between what we had to pack as kids when we went to sleep away camp back in 1992 and the things kids have to pack now for camp where my nephews are concerned. The same is also true when packing for a cruise, nowadays they recommend rashguards for everyone, adults included, but they are the ones who are the least likely to wear them.. at least they make sure that their kids wear them though.

When I lived on the east coast, I worked with a young, rather dark skinned black man who was from Philadelphia. He'd never been to an Atlantic beach so one weekend, he took his new girlfriend down there for two days early in the summer.

On Monday he didn't come to work. He was in the hospital with sun poisoning and really bad sunburn over most of his body.

Yes, sun poisoning is a thing:

When I lived on the east coast, I worked with a young, rather dark skinned black man who was from Philadelphia. He'd never been to an Atlantic beach so one weekend, he took his new girlfriend down there for two days early in the summer.

On Monday he didn't come to work. He was in the hospital with sun poisoning and really bad sunburn over most of his body.

Yes, sun poisoning is a thing:
Woah, never knew it can be that serious ! Was it, what, 50 celsius or something?

Woah, never knew it can be that serious ! Was it, what, 50 celsius or something?

Not that hot. More likely it was around 35, which is hot enough in my book.

What it was, was a bright sunny day with the sun reflecting off the water, and the sand, and what he got directly, and they spent all day Saturday and a lot of Sunday out in it, and he had just spent all winter and most of the spring in an office building.

I need to wear more sunblock! I just wish it wasn't so damn expensive.

I need to wear more sunblock! I just wish it wasn't so damn expensive.

Here you go.. this is an article on how to make your own sunscreen, and should you opt to do so, It'll probably be better than the stuff you get otc.. and the yield will probably be much better than anything you'd buy for the price, and even if you did spend a bit more than you wanted for the ingredients, (it would still be cheaper than a small bottle of sunscreen) you would still end up with MORE sunscreen and you could make it as you need it as well.. and you'd have the freedom to add your own stuff that is good for skin as well.. I would probably add some avocado, jojoba and vitamin E oils and some shea butter as well for its moisturizing properties, and add some peppermint essential oil for a cooling effect too.

I meant to post this earlier but it completely slipped my mind until now..

Last edited:
Here you go.. this is an article on how to make your own sunscreen, and should you opt to do so, It'll probably be better than the stuff you get otc.. and the yield will probably be much better than anything you'd buy for the price, and even if you did spend a bit more than you wanted for the ingredients, (it would still be cheaper than a small bottle of sunscreen) you would still end up with MORE sunscreen and you could make it as you need it as well.. and you'd have the freedom to add your own stuff that is good for skin as well.. I would probably add some avocado, jojoba and vitamin E oils and some shea butter as well for its moisturizing properties, and add some peppermint essential oil for a cooling effect too.

You've got to make sure you add something that will mess with your hormones like the infamous "_parabens", and you have to have one of the "_ureas" that can release formaldehyde, and it won't be complete until you put one of the EDTAs into it, which is also handy if you experience any heavy metal poisoning while sunbathing.

Nah.. I won't do that lol.. truthfully, there is enough shit in the relaxers I use for my hair.. and my only saving grace is that I only had that done every 6 months, but with last year's move, I haven't had that done since my Mom did it for me in July 2022.. so I am sorta natural adjacent now for that reason and I just might stick with that. I know women that get theirs done every 4-6 weeks and their hair doesn't grow nearly as fast.. so that is really scary.

Formaldehyde is one of the main ingredients in hair relaxer, and it has been linked to higher rates of Cancer in Black women, so it probably isn't a bad idea for me to lay off the "creamy crack." lol

Anyway, that is precisely why I have decided to make my own.. someday.. actually I really don't have a good reason not to try, I already make my own hair and skin stuff anyway, so I should try.. but I posted that because Neb said it was expensive.. and in looking at the list from the Essence link I posted, I have to agree.. but you are exactly right though, and that is one of the reasons why I tend to make my own hair and skin care stuff..

I have long stopped using the products that have the chemicals you mentioned in it, and my hair and skin has never been healthier.

I am just wondering if the zinc powder is just powdered zinc supplement, or if it is something else..

Sure, people of colour have more melanin in their skin to offer natural protection against the sun. But that’s nowhere near enough protection that suncream offers.

As the article states, suncream ads always seem to target white ppl. Also ppl with darker skin tones often don’t like the way suncream makes them look, so I feel like suncream manufacturers should be more considerate about diversity.

It doesn’t help that the UK consider suncream a cosmetic product for tax purposes. After all, this is a health product, not a beauty product.

I like Netherland’s approach in making suncream available for free in all public places. Watcha say? All tropical countries should do this IMO, and countries like the UK should also do so in the summer.
Everyone needs sunscreen outside; don't matter where you are or who you are or all that.

Nah.. I won't do that lol.. truthfully, there is enough shit in the relaxers I use for my hair.. and my only saving grace is that I only had that done every 6 months, but with last year's move, I haven't had that done since my Mom did it for me in July 2022.. so I am sorta natural adjacent now for that reason and I just might stick with that. I know women that get theirs done every 4-6 weeks and their hair doesn't grow nearly as fast.. so that is really scary.

Formaldehyde is one of the main ingredients in hair relaxer, and it has been linked to higher rates of Cancer in Black women, so it probably isn't a bad idea for me to lay off the "creamy crack." lol

Anyway, that is precisely why I have decided to make my own.. someday.. actually I really don't have a good reason not to try, I already make my own hair and skin stuff anyway, so I should try.. but I posted that because Neb said it was expensive.. and in looking at the list from the Essence link I posted, I have to agree.. but you are exactly right though, and that is one of the reasons why I tend to make my own hair and skin care stuff..

I have long stopped using the products that have the chemicals you mentioned in it, and my hair and skin has never been healthier.

I am just wondering if the zinc powder is just powdered zinc supplement, or if it is something else..
Oh cool, what hair and skin products do you make?
Have you tried organic products? How would you say they compare to products you make?

Oh cool, what hair and skin products do you make?
Have you tried organic products? How would you say they compare to products you make?

WARNING: Long post.. LOL

Anyway, basically I started off by making modifications to existing products that used to be effective for my 4b/c hair type, but had undergone a formula change and weren't anymore..

So it'll be anything from shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner and other finishing products like creams and oils..

I started doing this primarily because I saw how traditional methods I was using to take care of my hair wasn't working and it made my scalp issues worse. The Blue Magic myth is just as pervasive and culture-deep as the one about Black skin not needing sunblock. Seriously. We have a lot of harmful shit to unlearn as a people.

I used to use Shea Moisture stuff, but when they were bought out by another company, they changed the formula to the point where it no longer worked for ethnic hair types and it was as if they dropped us after we made it popular and started catering to non ethnic hair types almost exclusively like the other big brands out there. After a few other privately and Black owned brands fell the same way, it was frustrating and started feeling like we couldn't have a brand that just dealt with our ethnic hair and if we did, eventually White women would "discover" it and then complain about it, and the next thing you know, that popular brand either caters to them like the 90%+ of other major brands out there, and once they do so, they no longer work for our hair anymore.. and eventually, the brand ends up being discontinued.. or shuttered immediately after takeover. And this is because, after these women got what they wanted, they lost interest and moved on.. it honestly feels like a feature not a bug at this point.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat. (no pun intended..)

Biologically speaking hair is hair, but one size doesn't fit all. Fine, straight type 1-2a (as in super straight to slightly wavy) hair that White women typically have, would be heavily weighed down by the stuff used by those with type 4b/c ethnic hair like myself. This is also why Black hair does not get lice, as I mentioned over in the lice thread a while back..

O2cIkfY.png

wv6CDpV.png

VYI3cAI.gif

Which was the primary issue White women had when they decided to try it for themselves after seeing how popular we made it when we used it in our hair care routines.

They complained that it was too heavy for their hair and when the brand owner sold the company the first thing they did was remove the heavier stuff like coconut oil and shea butter, etc., that worked for ethnic hair to make themselves more appealing to White women, thusly becoming yet another Pantene, or any other brand that basically catered to White women, while also ignoring the fact that ethnic hair existed. The ethnic formula they released was basically the same as the regular watered down version, but it was just in a brown bottle and the commercials featured more Black and Brown women with diverse hair, but the formula was exactly the same since my hair and scalp reacted the same to both.

Also it was so full of perfume that it made my eyes water when I washed and conditioned my hair with it. And the SLS and alcohol in it made it super dry and brittle too. This was actually what caused a lot of Black women to make their own hair stuff too and this was the reason behind Shea Moisture being as popular as it was.. to the extent that White women ended up "discovering" it. They got tired of the brands they trusted and supported, becoming yet another Pantene.

So eventually, I started doing this with everything. Even though Shea Moisture did eventually come to their senses and start bringing back the formulas that worked with ethnic hair.. and no longer look at it as a one size fits all thing like most major shampoo brands do, it is now at the point where I do it regardless and my scalp issues were resolved..

And regarding organic, are we talking about the certified products like Dr. Bronner's soaps or the brand Organix (or OGX?) Either way, yes I have heard of them and I use their shampoos and conditioners but not their oils. I have learned that OGX uses petrolatum which seems to be a liquid soluable form of petroleum.. I used to use their oil sprays as a L.C.O.S. finisher on a wash day. And some days if I am in a hurry, I will just use a equal parts mixture of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint, Tea Tree and Eucalyptus Castille soaps, add in my oil blend and just wash with that usually use as a prewash before I use my shampoo and hacked conditioner, but in a hurry I will just use the soap mix, and hacked conditioner and then I follow up with my rice water rinse mix (inositol in fermented rice water is excellent for hair and scalp health and growth) and the rest of my L.C.O.S. routine.. and my hair grows like a weed whenever I do this. I mean like an inch every month instead of 3/4 in. like usual..

Anyway, it is a LOT of work to maintain natural hair.. and it is super expensive, so I had often relaxed mine so that the texture would be easier to maintain and also (much like many Black women to avoid hair discrimination and harassment.. it is still legal in many states here and the racist and ignorant comments about ethnic hair from White people in these spaces or them treating us like a side-show freak, or complaining about how often we change our hair don't help either since hair discrimination is still legal in most of this country, but the tide seems to be slowly changing on that too.)

szDeQad.jpg

I don't use Shea butter as a sealant, it is too heavy and that is why I melt it and use it in the oil blend I make for this. As a sealant, I use the Aussie heat protecting serum for when i blow dry and flat iron for the last step. But anyway, when I used the OGX oil spray, even with my oil mix, I noticed that my hair was feeling heavy no matter what I did, and it felt as oily and weighed down as it did when I was using passed down staples like Ultra Sheen and Blue Magic (though Sulfer 8 was used in my brother's hair.)

But with that, I noticed that my seborreic dermatitis was coming back after it had been gone for years since I was using natural oils and not scented vaseline like Blue Magic. When this happened, I started adding the same essential oils to it that helped my hair before. And what happened was that the natural oils and the essential oils had separated and they mixed with the natural oils and floated on top of this thick white almost gelatinous slime.

I mistakenly thought it was something important so I tried to reintegrate them by heating and mixing it which seemed to have worked, but then I still had scalp issues and the oil ended up separating from the white blobby stuff again.. so I said fuck it. And decided to use a coffee filter to strain out the white stuff from the oil and when I touched the white stuff, it actually felt like softened vaseline that was in between being solid and liquid in texture. So after playing around with it for like an hour (I am still a big kid at heart) I figured that this was the stuff that brought back my scalp issues.

Once I figured this out, I went and got some organic coconut oil and shea butter, and melted it so that it became liquid and then I added in some jojoba, vitamin E, avocado and olive oil and I mixed it in and then I added a shit ton more of my essential oil blend that cured my scalp and hair issues.. I mixed all of this up and poured it back into the ogx oil spray bottle and used that, and my scalp and hair issues were once again cleared up.

I don't have any pictures now, but the next time I make a batch, I'll try to take one and update this post with a picture of what happens when it separates when I add the essential oils to ogx oil spray.. then again there might be a youtube video somewhere..

Anyway, I have also done this with face wash, body lotions, and even medicinal products like Vicks Vapor Rub. Both during covid and when I was sick for more than half of 2021 thinking that I had a new strain of covid (despite extreme isolation for safety,) I ended up using that stuff under my nose so I coukd breath easier under my mask. In doing so, I noticed that my nose and upper lip area started to peel.. so what I did was I heated up the entire jar of Vicks and dumped a shit ton of that same essential oil blend as well as a a lot of vitamin e oil and jojoba oil and I mixed it in and used it when it resolidified.

It turned out to be more effective at keeping my airways open both in the house and when traveling.. and once again the dermatitis issues on my face were resolved. The balm I hacked was so much more effective that I made an oil based on the same thing and out it in a roller bottle so that I could use it in my nose under the mask and then it would then be activated from my breathing in it, kind of like a humidifier effect, and I carry both that and a small jar of the nasal balm in my TSA bag and my purse.

Anyway, funny enough, when my airways had been opened in my old apartment, from using the Vicks mix. That was when I first smelled the mold in my apartment. And suddenly everything made sense about why I was often so much sicker inside my apartment than I had been when I left. I initially thought it was just seasonal allergies but they immediately disappeared when I left and came back as I was making my way through the building to my apartment.

I also use essential oils in the pet safe cleaners I make using diluted Dr. Bronner's soap. But ill add in the oils that I know repel certain bugs and they are safer to use than chemical sprays are where my cat is concerned.

Even though I use essential oils in my stuff, and it has worked, I can't vouch for whether or not they are effective for use as medicine.. the closest I had ever come to that was with the Vicks and oil in the roller bottle and also a few drops of my essential oil blend in my neti pot with saline.. so basically sinus related stuff..

I can't vouch for their effectiveness aside from sinuses, skin and hair and cleaning and bug repellent..

Last edited:
@Black Angel

My "hair type" isn't on your list.....

LONG.... at least for me it is, as it's been something on a year since I had the split ends and 'shaggy bits' cut off, as it is, the worst of it is now down to my shoulders, the rest of it goes this way, and that way, and some of it is over there-----

GREY... if it were any longer and greyer I could be mistaken for a wizard in a movie trilogy from several years ago.

UNKEMPT...... one reason I wear a hat when I go out of the house is so I don't have to brush my hair, see the directions above.

THINNING.... if it were thinner, I wouldn't have to wash as much of it, or have it cut. But, oh, well.

Are you sure about that Doc? Which chart did you look at? I posted different ones because one some of them you can compare a single strand of yours to get an idea.. though one chart forgot to include 4d texture and repeated 4a and 4b twice, even though i understood why they did it.. my sister has that hair type and it doesnt act the same as another 4a/b.. it is weird, but it just shows that there is still a lot that we don't know, but what we have learned about our hair, has come from having to work with it ourselves since the rest of the world pretends that our hair doesnt exist.

Anyway, Is your hair straight or wavy? My husband has type 3c hair.. his father has slightly wavy hair it looks straighter when it is cut short but when we were in the throes of Covid it grew to almost shoulder-length so I could see that his hair was slightly wavy.. so it is 1-2a..

And yeah about the breakage that sounds like me too.. my relaxed ends are more likely to break off the longer I go between relaxers.. but I had no choice really.. so my relaxed ends have broken off, but the cool thing about my hair texture is that it hides like 80 or 90% of my stretched length due to shrinkage, so my hair could look like a Yakuza punch perm.. (and the similarity in that style to our natural texture isn't lost on me either..) and wont go past my ears after a year of new growth.. even though I know how much faster my hair has grown since I changed my regimen.

It'll look like it hasnt grown, which can be discouraging if I had my hair in braids or a sewn-in for like 3 months.. but when stretched, it'll be to my shoulders.. my hair now unstretched is to my shoulders now because of the stuff I make and use for my hair, but if I stretch it, it might go to BSL..

And I just realized that I actually have an electric straightening comb, so laziness and convenience aside, I really have no excuse for not giving up the creamy crack.. lol

I meant to post this earlier but it completely slipped my mind until now..

I didn't know making your own sunscreen was an option, thanks!

No problem.. @Nebulous

Also, just know that this is only 2 of the many recipes that are out there, but I am sure that if you check Instagram or Pinterest, you will come many more and you'll be able to learn about the best stuff to add to suit your needs when making it..

And I forgot to mention @DrLeftover I have the same issues (breaking and thinning from relaxers) and the Biotin & Collagen formula from OGX will help with that..

Also taking the same supplements will help with that too..

Last edited:
You should absolutely check it out. I happened to be on it today and came across this.. this way if you do go the diy route you know what you can add to get the most spf for your sunblock..

I saw a bunch of recipes even those for making your own waterproof sunblock..

Most of these you can get at walmart but just check the ingredient list. Natural ingredients often have their biological names listed so for Shea Butter you might see (Butyrospermum Parkii) or Carrot seed oil you might see (Daucus carota) shown in parenthesis.. etc..

The same goes for essential oils too.. make sure it is actual pure essential oil and not a blend. Typically blends wont work for aromatherapy, but the carrier oils used in them would still be good for the skin. I prefer to work with the oils itself so I know the ratios I want to use and with a blend, the essential oil will be in least quantity. So it will be listed toward the middle of the list, rather than first, or alone. I have used the blends for hair and skin stuff in a pinch but if im doing stuff from scratch then I prefer to use the oil itself and make my own blend that way. So if you do decide to go with a blend just know that you won't be getting as much of the essential oil itself.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom