What's new
Off Topix

Off Topix is a well established general discussion forum that originally opened to the public way back in 2009! We provide a laid back atmosphere and our members are down to earth. We have a ton of content and fresh stuff is constantly being added. We cover all sorts of topics, so there's bound to be something inside to pique your interest. We welcome anyone and everyone to register & become a member of our awesome community.

Should disposable vapes be banned?

~ True Legend ~

Goofy Nerd
Elite Member

Disposable vapes cause litter problems, are a fire hazard and appeal too strongly to children, according to local councils in England and Wales.

UK Councils want them to be banned by 2024.

Benefits of disposable vapes
Quote:The UK Vaping Industry Association says they help smokers quit and can be recycled.
Quote:Councils are not against vaping altogether as they believe vapes are less harmful than tobacco and can help smokers to quit.
John Dunne, director general of the UK Vaping Industry Association, said that the “low price, accessibility and ease of use” of disposable products had helped bring UK smoking rates to an "all-time low”.

Quote:The anti-smoking charity ASH said it did not support a ban, as it would "turbo-charge" illegal sales, increasing the risk that children would be able to buy them. It favours higher taxes on disposables and stronger controls on import and sales, deputy chief executive Hazel Cheeseman said.

Quote:"The illicit market will simply fill the void with products that are unlicensed and unregulated containing substances that potentially pose a health risk."

Problems with disposable vapes
Quote:Councillor David Fothergill, chairman of the LGA’s Community Wellbeing Board, said: “Disposable vapes are fundamentally flawed in their design and inherently unsustainable products, meaning an outright ban will prove more effective than attempts to recycle more vapes.”

Quote:Disposable ones also contain a small lithium battery, which can increase in temperature when crushed, causing fires in bin lorries, the Local Government Association (LGA) warns.

Quote:Councils are also worried that disposable varieties with “fruity and bubble gum flavours, and colourful child-friendly packaging” could appeal to under-age vapers, and called for restrictions on their display and marketing, similar to those used for conventional tobacco.

Last edited:
I still question the health hazards of vaping; even the non or low-nicotine kind. Inhaling those syrups & flavors & oils makes me wonder.
But I do definitely think vaping is not as obnoxious or offensive as cigarette smoking; however, banning them in England is not cause me to get me knickers in a knot. :p

I still question the health hazards of vaping; even the non or low-nicotine kind. Inhaling those syrups & flavors & oils makes me wonder.
But I do definitely think vaping is not as obnoxious or offensive as cigarette smoking; however, banning them in England is not cause me to get me knickers in a knot. :p
I'm curious on your thoughts on the above points I summarised :)

A lot of things need to be banned. But I doubt this will ever be one of them due to the high demand made by it's customer base.

A lot of things need to be banned. But I doubt this will ever be one of them due to the high demand made by it's customer base.
It just wouldn't work. Ppl would go the illegal route as the black market would get flooded.

I was having a debate with some "friends" on another forum, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Do you think the flood of vapes onto the black market would lead to youngsters getting into the wrong crowd and potentially even getting their hands on illegal drugs?

It just wouldn't work. Ppl would go the illegal route as the black market would get flooded.

You're correct. If people can't get it, they'll steal it or pay someone in China to make a counterfeit version of it and put it on the market.

Do you think the flood of vapes onto the black market would lead to youngsters getting into the wrong crowd and potentially even getting their hands on illegal drugs?

What most people fail to realize when they ask loaded questions like that is that they're not realizing that the illegal narcotics they refer to such as meth or heroin sell themselves. A lot of Teenagers don't think about the future and how hard the consequences those decisions will bring. They think in doing those drugs that it won't happen to them. They just want to get high at the party for the night only to instead become life long junkies who got hooked on the dope and now they can't get off of it. Most teens think they'll get high and go back home to their normal lives after taking a hit. Nope, it takes one hit of meth or cocaine to become addicted. The people who make those drugs want them highly addictive so people will get hooked and throw their money and their lives away on it. The trick is to never try it. The words "here try it" is the major sales pitch and that's where most teenagers fall victim is because they "tried" it and now they're addicted. It takes one tiny decision to become a drug head.

I think it would have been fine if it was just plain distilled water and a candy tip once they started adding things to it it’s not good.
It doesn’t help you quit smoking btw I tried. ☹️

You're correct. If people can't get it, they'll steal it or pay someone in China to make a counterfeit version of it and put it on the market.

What most people fail to realize when they ask loaded questions like that is that they're not realizing that the illegal narcotics they refer to such as meth or heroin sell themselves. A lot of Teenagers don't think about the future and how hard the consequences those decisions will bring. They think in doing those drugs that it won't happen to them. They just want to get high at the party for the night only to instead become life long junkies who got hooked on the dope and now they can't get off of it. Most teens think they'll get high and go back home to their normal lives after taking a hit. Nope, it takes one hit of meth or cocaine to become addicted. The people who make those drugs want them highly addictive so people will get hooked and throw their money and their lives away on it. The trick is to never try it. The words "here try it" is the major sales pitch and that's where most teenagers fall victim is because they "tried" it and now they're addicted. It takes one tiny decision to become a drug head.
That’s true, but there’s also a reason why many more teens smoke weed than do hardcore drugs.

Personally? I think if the black market gets flooded with vapes, I think teens are more likely to get into smoking weed. Let’s be honest - it’s not considered to be as harmful as cocaine, for example.

It’s riskier in a way because those sweet flavours make you feel like it’s less harmful and it’s easy to get complacent and just keep having more and more of it.

I think it would have been fine if it was just plain distilled water and a candy tip once they started adding things to it it’s not good.
It doesn’t help you quit smoking btw I tried. ☹️
It must be one of those things where every 'addict' to cigarettes has their own personal "trigger" to kick it. I know of a small group of people (adults) who quite scientifically approached vaping in order to quit cigarettes. They did really become like "foodies" with experimenting with the different flavors they liked; but started out with a high dose of nicotine and very gradually worked their nicotine content down. I'd say that did work with maybe 50% of that group. They don't like the taste or smell of cigarettes any more; but absolutely do not want to give up vaping.

You're going to hit on your own personal "trigger" one of these days!

No, but only because Daltonio needs his drugs! :LOL:

Well, Scotland are seriously considering banning disposable vapes now.
I’m not entirely convinced that littering is a good reason for this. Littering continues regardless >_<

I’m not entirely convinced that littering is a good reason for this. Littering continues regardless >_<
Yeah, 'littering' makes it just sound like an excuse.
If littering was the biggest issue why not ban cigarettes first, certainly people go through more of those more quickly than a vape.

Create an account or login to post a reply

You must be a member in order to post a reply

Create an account

Create an account here on Off Topix. It's quick & easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom